archives: World Governments Choosing Linux for National Security

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:02:18 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

NEW YORK (AP) - For reasons of national security and national pride,
government officials in countries like China, France and Germany are
increasingly adopting the free, open-source computer operating system
known as Linux.
In some cases, the software being replaced is produced by the Microsoft
Corp., which, users say, is more prone to viruses and hackers.

"A lot of countries feel uncomfortable having the fate of their computer
infrastructure in the hands of a large American software company," said
Eric Raymond of the Open Source Initiative, an advocacy group.

In China, the federal government is prodding its ministries toward
homegrown versions of Linux, which unline Microsoft's operating system
doesn't keep secret its core instructions, or source code.

The Chinese information and science ministries are investing in a version
called Red Flag Linux "to pry the computer industry from the grip of
operating systems giants like Microsoft," the official People's Daily
newspaper reported last spring.

Security experts tend to agree that computers are less prone to hacking
and viruses when running open-source software like Linux or the Web server
Apache. When vulnerabilities are found, programmers can fix them by
tinkering with the code and publishing the results.

In France, the ministries of culture, defense and education have switched
to Linux for reasons of security and uniformity, dropping programs from
Microsoft, Sun and Lotus, a Public Works Ministry spokesman said.

Germany's minister for economy and technology, Margareta Wolf, has urged
use of Linux in "security relevant" computer servers and says the
government - currently overwhelmingly dependent on Microsoft - is looking
into ways to convert other ministries.

Among the reasons Wolf cited was "protection from economic espionage."

"Security through obscurity is the motto of yesterday," Wolf said in July
at a Stuttgart tech conference. "The slogan of today is security through
transparency."

Interior ministry spokesman Dirk Inger said Friday that the government is
keen to decrease its susceptibility to Microsoft-crippling viruses: "Our
desire is simply to use software products other than Microsoft's."

Another rallying point for Europeans is the fact that Linus Torvalds, the
programmer known as the father of Linux, is a native of Finland.

In China, as well, software is a matter of national pride.

The Chinese are keen to use their enormous market potential to boost
Chinese products rather than foreign ones, said Li Gong, Sun Microsystems'
chief representative in China.

"They don't want to build an economy entirely on Western technology," Gong
said. "To be a strong nation, they have to have intellectual property."

There are also unproven fears of so-called "back doors" in proprietary
operating systems like Microsoft's Windows. Some governments fear they
could be spied on by U.S. intelligence through a built-in secret channel.

Despite Microsoft's vigorous denials of their existence, the fear of "back
doors" is particularly acute in China, where the government worries that
the U.S. military could tap into and shut down its military command
networks.

"What if the U.S. and China go to war?" Gong asked. "If these things get
pushed to extremes, they don't want to be dependent on a U.S. operating
system."

In March, a report in the respected German news magazine Der Spiegel
claimed that country's defense ministry had banned Microsoft products
because of an alleged "back door."

The ministry later denied the claim.

Microsoft's director of security assurance Steve Lipner calls the back
door references a persistent and baseless rumor.

"The logic of that conspiracy theory is pretty strained," Lipner said.

The criticisms over security are tougher to dismiss.

Microsoft Web server software powers about 30 percent of the world's Web
sites - and 62 percent of the sites that have been hacked, according to
data collected by two Internet sites, Netcraft's Web Server Survey and the
Alldas Defacement Archive.

Microsoft is also the prime target of virus writers. But that fact owes
more to Microsoft's dominance in PC software than any particular
vulnerabilities, said security consultant Chris Wysopal of (at)stake Inc.

Microsoft's Lipner said the company is now releasing "lockdown" tools to
deal with the problem and is also no longer leaving "entry port" settings
open by default on server software.

Even in the United States, where Microsoft dominates government computers,
agencies such as the Department of Defense and the National Security
Agency are experimenting with Linux.

IBM Corp. reports increasing sales of Linux systems to the federal
government, along with a recent sale to the Chinese postal service.

The NSA, the intelligence agency charged with eavesdropping and
codebreaking, has even developed its own version, called Security-Enhanced
Linux, available for free on its Web site.

A contractor that helped the NSA with the Linux project said the agency
had "tried for years" to prod software companies to tighten holes in their
operating systems.

Frustrated by the lack of success - and concerned about the protection of
the country's computer infrastructure - NSA decided to create its own,
said Tom Haigh, chief technical officer of San Jose, Calif.-based Secure
Computing Corp.

"NSA feels it has a responsibility in that area," Haigh said. "They
understand better than anybody in the world the deficiencies of operating
systems."

---
On the Net:
http://www.redflag-linux.com/eindex.html
http://www.opensource.org
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
http://www.alldas.de/
http://www.netcraft.com/survey/
--
***      Tune in to World Transonic Radio!      ***
*** 96k: http://www.augdata.com:8096/listen.pls ***

attached mail follows:

I have to laf that the NSA is offering it's own
version..."Security-Enhanced?"
Just think, an OS that comes stock with "Carnivore" embedded, the ULTIMATE
VIRUS
eh...hahahaha...I'm Sure I'll grab up a copy real quick....NOT!!!!!
Yup, they have a responsibility, a responsibility to eavesdrop on anyone
stupid
enough to download their "Security-Enhanced" version of Linux...

I'm thinking the only Tucks you would need with that version of Linux would
be type that
competes with Preparation H...Doc Johnson would be proud!!!

I think that anything the NSA does is closed...guess I'm going to have to
put together a NSA manpage......

attached mail follows:

Umm they make the source available and it'll be well audited by the time
it's merged with the main tree. Lots of eyes wipe out spies.

"The principal mark of genius is not perfection but originality, the
opening of new frontiers."
                                       -- Arthur Koestler

*^*^*^*
Michael McGlothlin <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>
http://mlug.missouri.edu/~mogmios/projects/

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Eddie Benson wrote:

> I have to laf that the NSA is offering it's own
> version..."Security-Enhanced?"
> Just think, an OS that comes stock with "Carnivore" embedded, the ULTIMATE
> VIRUS
> eh...hahahaha...I'm Sure I'll grab up a copy real quick....NOT!!!!!
> Yup, they have a responsibility, a responsibility to eavesdrop on anyone
> stupid
> enough to download their "Security-Enhanced" version of Linux...
>
> I'm thinking the only Tucks you would need with that version of Linux would
> be type that
> competes with Preparation H...Doc Johnson would be proud!!!

Anyone that would believe that the NSA would make their source code
available....must I say more...

dunno, guys. Looks like the SElinux kernel patches are available as source
to me: http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/download2.html .

Object marking (i.e., file level ACLs) is required for C2 systems.

/m/

On Friday 30 November 2001 09:35 pm, Eddie Benson wrote:
> Anyone that would believe that the NSA would make their source code
> available....must I say more...

Yes, we must say more:
  http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/download2.html

> Option 1
> Everything in One Part Download a 2.4.14 based kernel
> with the LSM patch applied, the SELinux module, the
> complete source for all new and modified utilities, and
               ^^^^^^
> the example policy.

- --
| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@home.com |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| |
| "Why should we not accept all in favor of woman suffrage |
| to our platform and association even though they be rabid |
| pro-slavery Democrats." |
| Susan B. Anthony, _History_of_Woman_Suffrage_ |
| http://www.ifeminists.com/introduction/essays/introduction.html |

attached mail follows:

Umm I've looked through the source code. It's available online under the
GPL. Their Security Enhanced Linux patches are a huge step forward in
Linux security.