Re: [Nolug] local exploits for FreeBSD??

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:16:11 +0000

Thou spake:

<snip>
>Is there a more secure IM server? Jabber, maybe? Is *IRC*
>needed, or could any IM technology be used?

As far as I know, there aren't many (if any at all) instant messengers that
utilize irc as its transport medium. I did kick around the idea here a couple
of months ago of coding one that did use it, but haven't done anything with
the idea.

If you're not aware of what IRC is, it's Internet Relay Chat, and is a
text-mode-based chat platform that has been around for quite a while. If you
are running Linux, you can use xchat (or kvirc, or ksirc, or BitchX, or
[...]). It's an experience, to be sure. This really has nothing to do with
AIM, or jabber, or the Yahoo! chat applet, etc., however.

An IRC bot is a program that sits on a channel and runs scripts to moderate
the channel, and protect it from takeover attempts. These are needed on
networks that don't use ChanServ, or Q, or any of the related ircd server
regulators.

--Joey

>- --
>+------------------------------------------------------------+
>
>| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@home.com |
>| Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
>
>! "Fair is where you take your cows to be judged." !
>! Unknown !

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.