Re: [Nolug] Internal connection problem

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:36:21 +0000

Dave,

I don't know your network configuration; however, you might try this:

On a computer in your classroom, change your DNS servers to something other
than what the school DHCP assigns you (whatever IPs your home account uses,
for example), and try to bring up the site. If this still fails, then I have
no clue. However, if you can reach the site, then the problem is the DNS data
you are receiving from the "official" servers.

Also (again, I don't know your school setup), it is possible than your chosen
private IP range is conflicting with the school board's setup, assuming that
school's connectivity is a direct link to the school board servers. That's a
big *maybe*, as I doubt that things are set up that way.

The only documented freesco issue I know about is the following:

If you were using freesco and trying to host your own website, with a domain
name pointed to your box, then that would cause a problem. There is a known
issue with this --- you wouldn't be able to reach your own domain name (or
even your external IP) from inside your LAN. However, this is not at all
related to the problem you are experiencing.

Let us know what happens when you run the test.

Oh, by the way, are you assigning static IPs to your classroom boxen, or are
you running your own DHCP server?

--Joey

Thou spake:
>Hope y'all can help with a little problem. My classroom is behind a Freesco
>router/firewall, which gets a DHCP address every time it connects. (Pretty
>often, with the number of times the external DHCP server goes down.) The
>clients have static IP addresses of 192.168.0.xxx. All the clients can
>freely access everything on the net, except the N.O. public school web site.
>Though it has a real IP address from anywhere else in the world, when you
>try to log on to www.nops.k12.la.us from inside the NOPS system the DNS
>server points you to 192.168.0.50. This is conflicting with my internal
>static addresses, and keeps giving a message that the site cannot be found.
>What can I change to be able to access this site from inside the classroom?
>(p.s. There are no other firewalled machines in the school. They get
>individual DHCP addresses and have no problem connecting to the NOPS site.)
>Thanks,
>Dave Prentice
>prentice@instruction.com

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.