[Nolug] 50% CPU usage by System processes?

From: Peter Kahle <pkahle_at_pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:49:49 -0600

Anybody know why I might see about 50% of my CPU time used up by System
processes on a linux box?

from top:
CPU states: 45.5% user, 53.7% system, 0.8% nice, 0.0% idle

and I can't figure out what's doing the 50%. is it possible it's just
packet handling overhead? I need to rip this machine off duty as my
firewall box, for other reasons, but this seems a bit extreme,
especially considering I shouldn't be doing much most of the time, and
it stays around there, though right now I'm downloading an ISO image.

So, anybody have any clues?

Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
					-- Ben Franklin
|| Peter M Kahle Jr              ||     PGP Public Key on Keyservers     ||
|| pkahle@pobox.com              ||    http://pops.dyndns.com/~pkahle/   ||