Re: [Nolug] video cards

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:27:55 -0600

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:58:06 +0000 Joey Kelly <looseduk@ductape.net> wrote:
> Hey y'all,
>
> I need some pointers concerning video cards for linux. I understand that
> games require a higher-quality card. What's a good card for games, a better
> card for games, and a good card for non-game use?
>
> Driver issues?

What screen resolution?

When you say "non-game use", I presume that you mean that even though
3-D CAD modeling isn't "gaming", that you won't be doing anything
like that.

Any of your nVidia TNT2 are under $60 cards will stand you in good
stead for most 2-D games.

They will also do great for driving monitors in 1280x1024 16 bit
mode doing "regular, non-gaming" stuff.

The proprietary drivers from the nvidia web site are needed to
activate 3-D h/w acceleration. The open source drivers that come
with X4.1 do good 2-D h/w acceleration.

ATI has always had good X support, but I don't know the model
numbers anymore...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |