RE: [Nolug] buying ssl certificates

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 09:24:30 -0600

At 12:25 AM 4/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Now, you say that, but if I am going to say...oh, I don't
>know...Widgets, Inc. and want to do business, why shouldn't I expect to
>see an authoritative cert signed digitally by Widgets, Inc. ? I would
>find it perfectly normal to see such a thing.
>
>Now, I wouldn't count on it on some kid's website (which I wouldn't buy
>from anyway) but I know for a fact we sign our own secure stuff at Our
>Lady of the Lake. The doctors feel better getting a lake-signed cert.
>and they can push blame to us if any patient data gets out. We sign
>'em, we cert 'em, and we make sure the tickets stay secure. HIIPA kind
>of liked the idea last we heard, and is looking into it as an option for
>all member hospitals.

Some people like it. Some people don't. If you sign it yourself then you
have to be willing to have turned away those that don't. :)

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
UNIX and Network Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
PGP Key available at http://www.us.pgp.net
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams