Re: [Nolug] Topic

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:48:25 +0000

Heh, Konrad is only kidding --- he's the one starting this stampede. Actually
(aside from Dave not getting info on what he was wanting), we had a Really
Cool Topic last night, and a good time was had by all.

Konrad spoke on facial recognition. He went over the different types of
algorithms, how they work, where they they fail, etc. One of the limitations
of the science is that since the researchers used their faces for test data,
due to the complexity of the process of having a computer recognize human
faces, just about the only faces the software can recognize are those of the
researchers themselves -- single white males, generally.

...which brings me to my second point. Konrad, as most of you know, is
bugging out just as soon as he graduates. With his master's certificate he
managed to bribe HR at IBM down in Austin, Texas, and they actually consented
to hire the Mad Pollock from Nolug. Last night may very well be Konrad's last
appearance at nolug. We will miss him dearly, of course.

However, since Konrad's thesis was on (get this) facial recognition, and he
is, by virtue of writing a thesis on the subject, an official Facial
Recognition Researcher(tm), Konrad's very own face was used as test data.
This means that if he ever returns to New Orleans for a visit, the h4x0r3d
copy of the sortware he's been working on all semester that he gave me to
install on the nolug servers us will be able to instantaneously recognise
Konrad the Mad. Furthermore, the software has been modified to inform us all
via this list and various other methods of communication, whereupon we will
all converge upon his hotel room in the wee hours of the morning to welcome
him back to our neck of the woods, whereupon another good time will be had by
all.

Thou spake:
>Hey!
>
> Somebody mentioned in today's meeting to say:
>
> "WHAT HAPPEND TO THE GUY WHO WAS SUPPOSE TO PRESENT???!??" SHAME!!!
>
> <Konrad makes a obscene sign to the person>
>
> <grins and goes back to drinking lots of xaffeine>

- --

http://joeykelly.dhs.org