[Nolug] [marsee@oreilly.com: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, April 26]

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:07:33 -0500

----- Forwarded message from Marsee Henon <marsee@oreilly.com> -----

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:11:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marsee Henon <marsee@oreilly.com>
To: scotth@scottharney.com
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, April 26

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
April 26, 2002

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK:
NEWS:
-Wanted: O'Reilly Irregulars (Please pass this on to your members)
-Clay Shirky: What Web Services Got Right...and Wrong
-Privacy and XML, Part I
-Full Outer Joins in Oracle9i
-XP on the PowerPC
-Did You Know O'Reilly has a Research Department?
-The Perl You Need to Know

CONFERENCE NEWS
-Put Up A Conference Banner, Get A Free Book
(Just in case you missed this last week.....)
-One-Day Conference Pass Added for the O'Reilly Emerging Technology
Conference

BOOK NEWS:
-802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide
-Programming Visual Basic for the Palm OS

FROM YOUR PEERS
-Thank You to the Provo Linux Users Group

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

-------------------------------
GENERAL NEWS
-------------------------------
WANTED: O'REILLY IRREGULARS-
(PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL YOUR MEMBERS)

We're looking for a few industrious O'Reilly customers to be our scouts
in local bookstores. Tim O'Reilly came up with idea, inspired by
Sherlock Holmes. Here's Tim on why we're launching this endeavor, and
how he came up with the name "O'Reilly Irregulars":

"Sherlock Holmes has always been an idol of mine. His 'Baker Street
Irregulars' were a collection of street kids, hansom cab drivers, and
other elements of the London social environment who would help out
Holmes in tracking down people and facts that were invisible to
Scotland Yard and the police. It was an early (albeit fictional)
example of the power of a grassroots network.

"It's long been a dream of mine to organize a crew of O'Reilly
Irregulars to help us keep track of how our books are selling. There
are too many bookstores for our official sales reps to visit them all,
but it isn't beyond a network of customers who are willing to help us
out."

What does it take to be an O'Reilly Irregular? If you join the crew,
you'll visit your local bookstore once a month, armed with a current
O'Reilly inventory list that we provide. You'll look through the
shelves and display tables, marking the number of each O'Reilly title
you see. Once the list is complete, you'll fax it back to us.

What do you get for your time and diligent counting? We'll send you two
free books of your choice every time you turn in your completed
inventory list.

Interested? Send email to irregulars@oreilly.com by May 17, 2002.
Please include:

* your name
* email address
* shipping address

We're starting with a limited group of stores, located mostly in medium
to large cities. When we hear from you, we'll look through our list of
stores, and if we need an Irregular in your area, we'll sign you up.

CLAY SHIRKY: WHAT WEB SERVICES GOT RIGHT...AND WRONG
Web Services has gone from a vague idea to the major trend in Internet
development, with Microsoft and Sun both recasting their entire
companies to deliver on the promise of Web Services. To understand
whether Web Services are real or hype, Richard Koman talked to Clay
Shirky.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/04/22/clay.html

Clay Shirky is a keynoter at the upcoming Emerging Technology
conference, and a longtime observer of peer-to-peer networking.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2002/view/e_sess/3055

--------------------------
XML
--------------------------
PRIVACY AND XML, PART I
By Paul Madsen & Carlisle Adams
The widespread uptake of e-commerce has been stalled as much by the
inability of businesses to guarantee the privacy preferences of their
customers for the personal data entrusted to them as by any other
single factor. Of those who are connected but do not purchase
online--which is over half of all Internet users--over half say their
reluctance is due to fear that their personal information will be
stolen or misused. In a sense, XML, through the smart data transfer it
enables, contributes to the problem. However, a number of XML-based
efforts are emerging that offer solutions to some of the major
technology issues for privacy.
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/04/17/privacy.html

--------------------------
ORACLE
--------------------------
FULL OUTER JOINS IN ORACLE9i
By Sanjay Mishra
Learn how to use the new ANSI-compliant join syntax in Oracle 9i, which
simplifies the task of performing a full outer join.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/04/23/fulljoin.html

"Mastering Oracle SQL" Order Number: 1290
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mastorasql/index.html

--------------------------
MAC
--------------------------
XP ON THE POWERPC
Derrick Story looks at the pros and cons of running Windows XP Home
Edition via Connectix's Virtual PC on Mac OS X.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/04/24/xp_on_mac.html

For more info read our upcoming book,
"Windows XP Home Edition: The Missing Manual,"
By David Pogue, Order Number: 2602.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/windowsxptmm/

--------------------------
WEB SERVICES
--------------------------
DID YOU KNOW O'REILLY HAS A RESEARCH DEPARTMENT?
O'Reilly Research provides strategic intelligence for technology
decision-makers. The O'Reilly Research team, building on the company's
20 years at the front lines of technology evolution, goes straight to
the source--leading-edge developers and industry visionaries--to forge
a deep understanding of new technology's business impact. Close to the
street, vendor-neutral, and grounded in real-world applications,
O'Reilly Research delivers no-nonsense, in-depth information and
insights about important technologies.
http://research.oreilly.com/

Emerging Technology Briefs offer a single-page summary of recent
developments in a technology topic that we have been following.

Briefs available so far:

SOAP
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/webservices/2002/04/16/soap.html

WebDAV
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/webservices/2002/03/26/webdav.html

JXTA
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/webservices/2002/03/12/jxta.html

Identity
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/webservices/2002/02/26/identity.html

-------------------------------
PERL
-------------------------------
THE PERL YOU NEED TO KNOW
Stas Bekman goes back to basics to explain some Perl topics of interest
to his continuing mod_perl series. "Before I delve into the details of
mod_perl programming, it's probably a good idea to review some
important Perl basics. You will discover these invaluable when you
start coding for mod_perl. I will start with pure Perl notes and
gradually move to explaining the peculiarities of coding for mod_perl,
presenting the traps one might fall into and explaining things obvious
for some of us but may be not for the others."
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/23/mod_perl.html

CONFERENCE NEWS
PUT UP A CONFERENCE BANNER, GET A FREE BOOK
We are looking for user groups to display our conference banners on
their web sites. If you send me the link to your user group site with
our O'Reilly Open Source Convention banner, I will send you the
O'Reilly book of your choice.

O'Reilly Open Source Convention banners:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/15/banner_ads.html

EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT. Register by June 10, 2002 to take advantage of
the discounted conference fees. User group discount is 20% for
conferences. Use the discount code: DSUG. Register before June 10th,
and receive a double discount! Your 20% will apply towards already
reduced "Early Bird" pricing if you register early.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

O'REILLY EMERGING TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
ONE-DAY CONFERENCE PASS ADDED
Too busy these days to join your colleagues for a four-day conference?
Attend the Emerging Technology Conference on either May 14, 15, or 16
for just $350.00. Registration information:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2002/create/ord_et02

O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference
Westin Santa Clara, May 13-16, 2002 -- Santa Clara, CA
http://conferences.oreilly.com/etcon/

BOOK NEWS
REVIEW COPIES ARE AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.
If you need your books by a certain date, please allow at least three
weeks for shipping. Please send me copies of your newsletters.

Don't forget, your members get 20% off any O'Reilly book they purchase
direct from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering.

Press releases are available on our press page: http://press.oreilly.com/

802.11 WIRELESS NETWORKS: THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE
Order Number: 1835
As a network administrator, architect, or security professional, you
need to understand the capabilities, limitations, and risks associated
with integrating wireless LAN technology into your current
infrastructure. This practical guide provides all the information
necessary to analyze and deploy wireless networks with confidence. It's
the only source that offers a full spectrum view of 802.11, from the
minute details of the specification, to deployment, monitoring, and
troubleshooting.
http://oreilly.com/catalog/802dot11/

Chapter 15, "802.11 Network Deployment," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/802dot11/chapter/ch15.html

PROGRAMMING VISUAL BASIC FOR THE PALM OS
Order Number: 2009
The book provides a framework for application design, development and
installation for the Palm handheld. While the reader should have
experience with the property-method-event model of VB programming, no
familiarity with Palm products is assumed or required. It is written
primarily for corporate software developers, software architects,
middle-ware developers and engineering managers who need to understand
the strengths and limits of programming on the Palm, and how to
integrate Visual Basic language Palm applications into their corporate
IT infrastructure or product offerings. It teaches readers how to
create a host of business applications including security, wireless and
database connectivity programs.
http://oreilly.com/catalog/vbpropalm/

Chapter 4, "Conduit Development," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/vbpropalm/chapter/ch04.html

FROM YOUR PEERS
THANK YOU TO JASON OF THE PROVO LINUX USERS GROUP
...for posting this endorsement of the upcoming O'Reilly Open Source
Convention on his group's web page: http://www.plug.org/

Jayce^ writes "Allrighty, for those who haven't seen, there is a new
banner on the left, for all that is OSCON. If for some reason you
haven't heard about this before, let me explain a little. Every year
O'Reilly has been putting on a convention for open source geeks like
us. Now, in the tradition of O'Reilly books, their conferences get past
the fluff and hype of other conferences and home in directly on the
meat of the technology. I've been lucky enough to attend the last two
of these, and let me tell you, I've been saving up to attend this one
since last year. The cookbook for the conference is pretty simple. Get
the top members of the different open source projects, tools, and more,
then have them give tutorials and presentation on the inner workings of
what they do. "

If any one else has anything wonderful to say about any of our
conferences or books please let me know.

Until next week,

Marsee

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63