[Nolug] Insane CPU Usage in DJB's DNS and daemontools

From: Peter Kahle <pkahle_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:20:28 -0500

Hey,
I mentioned to some of you last night that I had a firewall box (P1-133)
that was running about 50% system processor usage. Well I went digging
and figure out that it was either Dan Bernstein's djbdns (intalled using
the debian installer package) or the daemontools package that it relies
on (also from the debian installer). When I stopped those two processes,
my system CPU usage dropped down into the single digits. (around 3.5-4%)
Doesn't matter much, because I'd never gotten around to switching my DNS
from Bind, and now I don't suppose I will.

One question though, Scott, I know you, and maybe some others, were
using JDB's DNS. It's not affecting your system CPU usage much?
Thanks,

Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
					-- Ben Franklin
|| Peter M Kahle Jr              ||     PGP Public Key on Keyservers     ||
|| pkahle@pobox.com              ||   http://www.kahlilia.org/~pkahle/   ||