Re: [Nolug] Getting DSL working

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 09:47:27 +0000

Thou spake:
>Hey y'all,
> I almost have the internal wiring complete to network my house. My next
>step is to configure the router so that the internal network works.

 Your internal network should work (that is, the machines should all talk to
one another) regardless, router or not. The router is for traffic OFF your
LAN (yahoo.com, microsoftsucks.com, whatever).

>Then I
>hope to hook up the DSL modem to the router -- I need a crossover cable,
>right?

Nope. Telocity will even supply you with this cable, but AKAIK it's
straight-through.

> -- and finally connect the modem to the phone line to the outside by
>the end of the day. A question: Up til now only two of the wires on that
>phone line have been connected (I think red and green, but I'm not sure).
>Does DSL use only two wires , or does it need more of them connected?

Hold what you got. If a telephone plugged into that jack works right, then
the model will work right.

Don't forget you have to use those little filters on every phone jack EXCEPT
the one the modem is hooked to. Of course, you can use a splitter at that
jack, then you can plug your modem and a regular phone device (even your 56k
modem in your PC) in at the same time.

The filters are to kill the line noise produced by the DSL modem sending data
down the wire.

>Thanks,
>Dave Prentice
>prentice@instruction.com