Re: [Nolug] Web Development Problems

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 13 Jun 2002 23:19:35 -0500

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 22:51, Jeff Lee wrote:

> The page server is using RPG to do all of the programing ... html is
> incorperated in this and so is java script. Im not sure about PHP or
> anyother lang. I can ask tommorow but is there a way to find out if i have
> capabilities of http_redir. refer. on the current server b/c i do not
> remember the name of it. although i know it is not apache. The RPG lang. can
> handle java though i dont know if there is an added mod to handle this.

Jeff, you owe me a 22" monitor! As soon as RPG was displayed
in the same window with Java & HTML, the CRT shattered into
a thousand pieces. It took 2 hours to pick up all of the
glass shards. And that was after I got home from the hospital:
the aberrant brain discharges caused by "RPG, Java & HTML"
made me have so many seizures, my wife called an ambulance...

> >From: Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
> >To: nolug@patientcarerx.com
> >Subject: Re: [Nolug] Web Development Problems
> >Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:58:22 -0500
> >
> >This is pretty specific to the language you're using. You would not
> >want to use javascript for cookie setting/tracking in this instance.
> >javascript is client-side language and what you need to do is all
> >server-side. That means using CGI or something like PHP or mod_perl or
> >java server pages.
> >
> >What you're looking for is known in web development circles as
> >"session management". You use cookies to keep track of user "sessions"
> >and you can control them from there. I do this all the time with PHP
> >and perl-based web apps.
> >
> >Typically what I'll do is create a session with a cookie and the cookie
> >is the "key" to a backend database (mysql, postgresql, even filesystem
> >only)
> >In that database I can store things such as the HTTP_REFERRER URL that
> >they started the session on. Then once they complete a form, for example,
> >I can use php to set an HTTP Location: header to redirect the user back
> >to that original URL.
> >
> >that's an outline of what you need to do, but what you're talking about
> >is fairly language and platform specific. What you need to do
> >is find out about 'session management' using cookies in your environment
> >of choice. You'll also need to know how to manipulate HTTP headers directly
> >using your environment of choice.
> >
> >As you probably already know, this is a fairly common issue with web
> >development. If you're using an open-source setup, you'll undoubtedly
> >find tons of docs on the web as well as in things like O'Reilly books for
> >doing this. With a proprietary vendor language, online resource _might_
> >be a little harder to come by; you may need to consult with the vendor.
> >

> >On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:37:26PM +0000, Jeff Lee wrote:
> > >

> > > I am working on an AS/400 Developing web based ordering carts. A problem
> > > have run into is redirecting the customer back to the page he ordered
> >from
> > > after his order is complete.
> > > I have the site set up where different types of products are on
> >different
> > > pages and I would like the customer to be redirected back to the exact
> >site
> > > they ordered from. NOT to http://setsite.com/setpage.htm
> > > but http://referedsite.com/referedpg.htm
> > >
> > > Second I want to make sure that any customer who is using the site has
> > > cookies enabled since it is the method being used to track the order.
> > > I suppose that this can be done with Java Script but im not sure. I want
> > > check to see if they have cookies enabled (maybe by sending a test
> >cookie)
> > > and then if they dont i want them to be alerted.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jeff Lee
> > > Think Solutions Inc.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |