[Nolug] Backing up linux

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:23:43 -0600

I have a client that's needing to back up their linux web servers, so I'm
thinking of recommending an additional server. Set it up as an NFS server,
and let the other servers mount it.

Write a bash script to essentially:
use mysqldump to dump the databases to files
tar/gz the web folder, email folders, and probably /etc to a file on the NFS
put the date into the filenames it generates, and have it delete backups
that are over, say 14 days old

And then put the script into cron to run daily, every 6 hours, or
whatever...

Is this a good solution? Does anybody know a better way? Can this be done
on a live system, without having to take everything offline first?

Eventually they might want to do offsite backup and have hot spare servers
in a data center somewhere that they could use for disaster recovery, I'm
thinking rsync would be perfect if this need arises.