Re: [Nolug] Backing up linux

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 07:38:51 -0600

On Thursday 14 February 2008 08:02:43 pm Chris Jones wrote:
> Am I approaching it the right way then? I've done something just like this
> in the past, just making sure that's the proper way to do it. Also you can
> tar/gz and mysqldump the server while it's live, right?

I'm saying your basic idea is right. Ask someone with more experience with
MySQL for details (mysqldump, mysqlhotcopy, whatever).

You're trying to do offsite backups? I would skip tarballs and rsync entire
directories. Or...?

There are ways (mentioned on this list before) to do incremental backups via
rsync. But if you don't have tons of data, then a series of local tarballs
would suffice.

Again, you and I might argue on the little details, but generally you're on
the right track.

--Joey