Re: [Nolug] Backing up linux

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:52:52 -0600

I found out late last night that the amount of data is fairly significant,
so I'm thinking rsync would be the better option, even over LAN. It's over
100GB of data, so it would be a lot of stress on all the hardware to back
that up nightly. It might be better to run rsync regularly, and maybe have
the backup server archive it on a regular basis with tar/gz. I'll also
check out that BackupPC software, it looks really nice. Especially with the
web interface that lets you manage it, makes it almost like a commercial
product like BackupExec.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
wrote:

> I've never been a big a fan of the 'local tar via crontab' approach.
> What about using something like BackupPC? It's much smarter in the way
> it uses disk space, can use rsync, and works on- or off-site. We use it
> all the time. Also, you can setup pre- and post-jobs for things like
> running mysqldump.
>
> --
> Puryear Information Technology, LLC
> Baton Rouge, LA * 225-706-8414
> http://www.puryear-it.com
>
> Author, "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
> http://www.puryear-it.com/pubs/linux-unix-best-practices
>
> Identity Management, LDAP, and Linux Integration
>

> Chris Jones wrote:
> > I have a client that's needing to back up their linux web servers, so
> > I'm thinking of recommending an additional server. Set it up as an NFS
> > server, and let the other servers mount it.
> >
> > Write a bash script to essentially:
> > use mysqldump to dump the databases to files
> > tar/gz the web folder, email folders, and probably /etc to a file on the
> NFS
> > put the date into the filenames it generates, and have it delete backups
> > that are over, say 14 days old
> >
> > And then put the script into cron to run daily, every 6 hours, or
> > whatever...
> >

> > Is this a good solution? Does anybody know a better way? Can this be
> > done on a live system, without having to take everything offline first?
> >
> > Eventually they might want to do offsite backup and have hot spare
> > servers in a data center somewhere that they could use for disaster
> > recovery, I'm thinking rsync would be perfect if this need arises.

Chris Jones
http://www.industrialarmy.com