Re: [Nolug] multiple SSH sessions at once

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:48:57 -0500

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:38:16AM -0500, Charles Paul wrote:
> If you just need a tunnel (ie, not a shell) - use the -N option for SSH.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # connectssh-1.sh
> while [1];
> do ssh -N -L ???:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:??? foo@shell.remote-host.org;
> sleep 10;
> done
>

> How you run these scripts is up to you-- a simple way would be to
> create these ssh tunnelling scripts and run them from another script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> connectssh-1.sh &
> connectssh-2.sh &
> connectssh-3.sh &
> connectssh-4.sh &

Through the ~/.screenrc file, one may specify how many 'screens' to open when the application is started; this includes an opening command to execute.

I usually don't cheerlead particular utilities, but screen has become one of my most used tools.

A bigger selling point is that it facilitates persistent terminal sessions; in otherwords, you can detach and reattach to screen session, so you never really have to close any thing you're doing. I works *really* well if you do things on multiple remote hosts.

You'll never have to stop a compile or log off of irc again if you have a screen session going on a trusted box somewhere (aka, bounce box) - when it's time to go home, you detach. Later when you want to work on things again, login to your bounce box and reattach to the session. It'll be as if you never left.

If you need a sample ~/.screenrc, let me know off-list.

Brett