[Nolug] Specifying what user a linux daemon should run as?

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:48:07 -0500

In linux, how do you tell it what user you want a daemon to run as?

I'm having issues with vmware in linux, with a tape drive. I need to map a
scsi tape drive into a vm, but the vm doesn't have access to /dev/sg0. I
can go chmod 777 the /dev/sg0 and it works perfect, but as soon as I reboot
it goes back to 660 and an owner of root/root. So, how can I ensure that
vmware is either running as root (yeah, probably a bad idea) or make sure
that the permissions stick for that device?