Re: [Nolug] The Unix Desktop (was Re: If they're unreliable as heck... (was Re: [Nolug] someone's gotanaxe to grind...))

From: Dustin Puryear <dustin_at_puryear-it.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 08:09:35 -0500

Still confused. :)

Anyway, yes, a thin client does not have a hard drive or any moving
parts. That's why you buy them. It's like buying a monitor. Very similar
to a serial terminal but with graphics. Same benefits too. Ease of
management and no need to "update" anything, thankfully.

Some sites do buy a fully loaded XP box for each terminal and then run
the RDP client from there, often because they can't see why they would
spend $600 on a thin client machine when you can spend $600 on a PC, but
then they usually don't save nearly as much because they still have a
high management burden.

UNIX people know this drill. I know that at LSU, when I went, the UNIX
labs had nothing but X terms everywhere. No muss or fuss.

You often see this type of setup in hospitals and other large sites
where you need access to several critical applications, but there is no
need for a general purpose PC (which is the case 80% of the time).

--
Dustin Puryear
President and Sr. Consultant