Re: [Nolug] Wanting to break into technical writng

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:48:36 -0500

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:37:28AM -0500, Michael Jeter wrote:
> I teach English, and I will return to grad school this fall for an MA
> in English.
>
> I have always wanted to break into the technical writing field, but in
> NYC/NJ, with no experience, I found no job.
>
> If any of you have any documentation needs, I would trade my services
> as a writer in order to get the experience I need to gain tw
> positions.

Some suggestions:

1. start writing your own docs (and tutorials) on stuff you know; and if you can stomach it, blog about technical subjects (that you know). Don't bloviate or get political....too many blogs go downhill these days because the authors (much like Hollywood celebs) think that people actually care about their opinion on non-technical issues :)..

2. many OSS projects have well organized documentation efforts - you may want to get involved in one of them; for example, FreeBSD has a very functional group of volunteers that maintain their (very good) documentation - http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

Good luck!

Brett

> Michael

B. Estrade