[Nolug] Need help in school

From: Dave Prentice <prentice_at_instruction.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 08:59:22 -0500

Hi y'all,
    This was the first message from NOLUG in a long time. I was
beginning to wonder if the list was still active.
    A non-Linux question for you guys: does anybody know a
kind-hearted, philanthropic plumber who would be willing to do about 1
day's volunteer work at my school? The building is 90+ years old, and
many of the pipes corroded long ago. At the beginning of the year when
I moved into this classroom there was no operational water line. It's
hard to teach chemistry that way. I was able to repair it, but the
drain pipe (hanging from the ceiling in the classroom downstairs)
leaks like a sieve. I have to use a bucket to dump waste products --
no strong corrosives, just little samples of miscellaneous stuff --
then carry them to the toilet in the faculty bathroom .
    The aforementioned drain pipe is cast iron, about 4" diameter and
hanging down about a foot from the 12 foot ceiling downstairs.
Changing it is beyond my level of tools and expertise. It would be
nice to remove the cast iron pipe and put PVC in its place so there
would be no worry about corrosion. "Well, why not just get the school
district to fix it," you say? Remember, this is Orleans Parish.
    Please let me know if you think of any potential volunteers.
Thanks,

Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com