Re: [Nolug] VMWare ESXi on a Flash Drive

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:40:07 -0500

The host OS is 32MB and stays on the thumb drive. The system boots
off the thumb drive, which simply contains a light copy of linux and
some vmware software, and the OS's are stored on SAN/iSCSI or local
SCSI/RAID arrays. VMWare's intention with the free ESXi product is
for you to install it on the hard drive. To get the thumb drive
version, you have to buy the $500 "ESXi Embedded" product as part of a
Dell or HP server. Basically, this is a hack to let you install it on
a thumb drive and get the same functionality as the "embedded"
version, but with the free "installable" version.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Jonathan Roberts <gremln007@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw mention about unhooking your drives. I missed a lot of the hype on
> this, so can someone explain: where do you store the VM's? Do you use SAN
> or iSCSI?
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Now that is COOL.
>>
>> --
>> Dustin Puryear
>> President and Sr. Consultant
>> Puryear Information Technology, LLC
>> 225-706-8414 x112
>> http://www.puryear-it.com
>>
>> Author, "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
>> http://www.puryear-it.com/pubs/linux-unix-best-practices/
>>

>> Chris Jones wrote:
>> > http://communities.vmware.com/message/825686
>> >
>> > Enjoy!
>> >
>> > --
>> > This message was scanned by ESVA and is believed to be clean.
>> > Click here to report this message as spam.
>> > http://esva.puryear-it.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=

Chris Jones
http://www.doomsdaytechnologies.com