[Nolug] DNS Server Problem with TCP

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:16:54 -0500

Hi all.

I'm having a strange problem with one of our DNS servers (ns1.idsno.net). Our
ns2.idsno.net server is set up almost identically and it has no problem.

The problem is with the ability to do DNS TCP transfers. What makes this really
strange is that TCP works just fine when the box is rebooted. But a few days
later, it stops responding to TCP. I've seen this happen a half dozen times.

We're running RH. As far as I can tell, IPTables is not being used on the box.

I don't see anything interesting in /var/log/messages.

The box is behind a PIX but so is the other one. Port 53 UDP and TCP are both
enabled.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

John

   John Souvestre - Southern Star & Integrated Data Systems - (504) 355-0609