Re: Re: [Nolug] Localhost name problemy

From: jdtiede_at_bellsouth.net
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:35:07 -0400

On 2002/09/10 Tue PM 03:52:51 EDT Scott Harney wrote
<<
Try this (as root):
  pico /etc/hosts
  cd /etc
  grep att\.net *
use pico to edit futher found files. this might not catch tehm all because
from the description below, I can't tell when or where this information
was entered. And what distribution of linux might help.

I take it this box is going direclty into a graphical workstation
login.
<<
X kept respawning too soon to get anywhere, so I reloaded RH 7.3 without reformatting anything but the swap disk. The localhost name is still netmail@att.net. In addition, I can't log in as a user--it will accept root only. Attempts to log in as user make it cycle back to the login screen, but it never says invalid user or password.

I grepped all the directories recursively and all I could find for 'netmail' was
   HOSTNAME="netmail@att.net"
in
   /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/network
   /etc/sysconfig.network

I tried to copy all user's docs to a CD but couldn't get into his home directory as root. If I could copy them all I would just reload with reformat. Or is it safe to specify only certain partitions to be reformatted?