Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 20:55:06 -0600

>> And yes, I know 1.5 million records is not much, and so far the most
>> records we've racked up is somewhere between 50-60 million. And then the
>> acctual binary data takes only about 100Gb.
>
> What do you back-up to?
Sorry, I just realized that the about 100Gb is all the data, not only
binary data.

I'm backing up to another computer in the same network. It takes few
hours nightly to do all the mysqldumps to another computer. Mysqlhotcopy
does not work due to innodb tables. Total amount of backups I make daily
are compressed with gzip -9 and about 60Gb

Additional things I've done to keep up the performance..... I rotate
database tables with transaction data every day so that the active table
has only 2 weeks of records, then the first archive has records for 2
months and the secondary archive has anywhere between 2-6 months. After
that, I just dump the stuff into a .tgz and copy to couple of different
locations. Simple management, but works....

He-he.... And all my backup and rotation scripts are PHP. :-P

BTW. The first database I have ever actually used was Postgres.

Petri