Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:20:45 -0600

Dennis J Harrison Jr wrote:
> The Free Software Foundation (FSF), the group behind the popular GPL
> open source license, has filed a copyright infringement lawsuit
> against Cisco and wants an injunction against the networking giant.
>

> http://www.internetnews.com/storage/article.php/3790721/Cisco+Hit+With+Open+Source+Lawsuit.htm
>

> I wonder how far it will go.

Hopefully nowhere. I'm not a huge fan of Cisco, mostly because the
gear they produce is insanely priced even on large budgets, but this
line from the article is enough of a reason for me to side with Cisco:

"In addition, it is asking the court to make Cisco turn over any profits
from the products covered by the software dispute."

To whom, the authors of the software? Nope, doesn't sound like it.
It sounds like it is going to the FSF.

This is the reason why I actively discourage companies and developers
from using the GPL; creat your own license so that you control the
software and can grant the users the rights you want. Any license that
FORCES you to do something under threat of a possible lawsuit is not
encouraging "free" software.