Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:53:24 -0600

On 12/12/08 15:19, Jeremy Sliwinski (mailing list account) wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> This is the reason why I actively discourage companies and developers
>>> from using the GPL; creat your own license so that you control the
>>> software and can grant the users the rights you want.
>>
>> How is that encouraging free software? (Even the FSF doesn't
>> encourage "morality" clauses.)
>
> Because the GPL isn't "free" software. Any license that _forces_
> someone to release their source code tramples on the rights of the
> author to decide how the code _they_ wrote is controlled. That
> certainly is not "free."

If you modify someone else's code, then you've got to follow the
license of the original code. There's absolutely nothing wrong with
that.

> The GPL makes the right of the person using the software override the
> right of the person who worked on the software.

If you have such strong anti-GPL feelings, then Linux isn't for you.
  FreeBSD is just as capable, and in line with your philosophical ideas.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA