Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:51:15 -0600

John Souvestre wrote:
> Hi Jeremy.
>
> > You have to operate on the assumption that the author permits patches.
>
> There is no need to make an assumption and to do so is unsafe. Some copyrights
> allow it and some don't. You should check first.

In the context of this discussion, for the purpose of brevity, it is
assumed that when someone is writing a patch, they have been given
permission to do so. We are not making the assumption that all
software authors given permission to patch. Perhaps that clarifies it.

> > One can legally write the software license to limit liability.
>
> When publishing an illegal patch? Sorry, but no. You are totally exposed.

Again, see above. Operate on the assumption that the original author
has authorized patching of his software.

> 1) Have you ever seen a copyright/license/EULA for a patch?

Yes, I see them constantly.

> 2) What makes one EULA "commercial" and another not?

What makes it "commercial" or not is irrelevant.