Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:16:50 -0600

On 12/15/08 13:02, B. Estrade wrote:
[snip]

> So what law is this again? In all of the years that I've been
> in earshot of these arguments, I've never really understood how
> someone's arbitrary license can be substituted for "the law."

They aren't. The GPL specifically *relies* on copyright law.

> And if you ask me, what I don't like about the GPL is the viral
> nature

And it's your right to do so.

> and RMS' clear attempt to create the utopia he envisions by
> "hacking" the system - be it the computer, copyright laws, or unto
> whom commercial entities find themselves beholden. This is what
> liberal legal types do in order to create what they think is the
> idea world - they try to legislate it.

No, that the social conservative's way. The social liberal's way is
thru an activist judiciary, since The People don't know what's good
for them, since they never went to Harvard.

> I therefore favor those licenses that permit the most real
> freedom. And from my naive understanding, among them would be BSD
> and Public Domain (ala SQLite).

They certainly give the "modifier" total freedom to benefit from
upstream's labor.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA