Re: [Nolug] boat anchor laptops

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 00:02:29 -0600

Scott Amerland wrote:
> I would reply...... "Beggars Can't Be Choosers." Its sad that our
> schools don't have the money for new equipment. But refusing used just
> because it is "old" is ignorant.

Think like a network administrator at a school with a very limited
budget though. Say the system breaks, it is very likely out of
warranty, so getting the system fixed my incur expenses the school can't
afford. Older systems also tend to break more as you approach the MTBF.

Old systems also might not be capable of running the software that comes
down the pipe, like the latest and greatest Biology program with lots of
dissection videos and graphics and other chrome.

They do have justifications that seem reasonable.