Re: [Nolug] One Weekend Messing With Perl

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:17:11 -0500

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 12/21/08 11:37, Dennis J Harrison Jr wrote:
>> http://www.xkcd.com/519/
>>
>> I am sure there is a similar situation that is true for most of us, eh?
>
> Except for those of us who grew up before the Internet.

Ron, I've no idea how old you are (I only ever made it to one NOLUG
meeting and that was eons ago), but I graduated from high school “before
the Internet” in 1991.

When I was 13, in the 80s, I wrote and sold my first program. A simple
little report generator that helped my Dad with some repetitive tasks as
a QA manager. In high school, my parents made me get a job to pay off
the phone bill. They got tired of paying long distance bills as high as
$300 in one month.

It wasn't till my sophomore year of college that I got a real email
address. It wasn't until my senior year of college that the Internet
and web browsers really began to take off.

Heck, people like Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, and Bill Joy (who, iirc,
wrote VI in high school) grew up long before I did and they managed to
find things to dink with on the weekends when they were in high school
that were far more valuable than high school trig lessons.

Mark.