Re: [Nolug] Sharing File Systems

From: Dennis J Harrison Jr <dennisharrison_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:07:08 -0600

Clarification:

1) You want to build out config files based upon a central config
repo. This is what cfengine and it's fellows are for.

2) ISCSI is for mounting file systems over your network. My favorite
example is to show how all the devices for my servers are ISCSI from
my SANs.

I am not suggesting mounting a filesystem over a wide area to give
targets for file copying scripts. I am saying: do not synchronize
your configuration of services across servers by copying config files
around. That is not to say it will not work. Just that it is totally
inelegant and will be a pain to maintain as time goes on and services
are added to that list. More of a real world growth problem that has
been solved 10 ways to Sunday already.