Re: [Nolug] Hacker Space HOWTO

From: Charles Paul <charles.paul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:20:10 -0800

Well, there are a number of ways that the hackspaces are supported.

C-Base and a few other hackerspaces use money-raising techniques that
is common in European squats - selling drinks and serving meals.

At C-Base, there is a membership system where members are expected to
pay dues of around 5 euros a month (I think). In exchange they have a
space where they can collaborate and geek out 24 hours a day. They
also sell beer, soda and Club-Mate... Selling drinks gets them a
significant income - I have never seen anybody drunk at C-Base - the
drinks are just there to wet people's thirsts.

In the case of Noisebridge, it's monthly dues...

The ideal hackerspace situation involves getting a lease, or outright
buying a space (as C-Base did). Both of these require money.