Re: [Nolug] Hacker Space HOWTO

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:38:59 -0600

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:45:12AM -0600, Joey Kelly wrote:
> > I see a big difference. One place you go to "hack" and one place you
> > go to "hang out".
>
> <snip>
>
> > a) a clubhouse where for all they know their mate goes to geek around, or
> > b) a lab where their mate goes to dedicate their spare time and skills
> > to creating something that might potentially lead to a net gain for
> > the family (actual income, improved skill set, etc)
>
> Well, I see your point, I suppose. We can impose various house rules as
> needed.
>
> But ideally I'd like to see a mix of hacking, hanging out, and maybe even
> business-related stuff going on. We can subdivide the space, and have tables
> on one end and couches and video games on the other end, or in a separate
> room.
>
> If we found the right space, I could see myself renting a lockable office for
> a premium.
>
> Have a box you need to work on? There's a workbench at the clubhouse. Need
> help setting up apache? Probably you'll find someone at the clubhouse on
> Saturday that can walk you though it. Want to play video games? You know where
> to go.
>
> We can obviously hold our monthly meetings at the house, but there are other
> constructive public or subgroup-related activities that can and will take
> place. If we build it, they will come and hang out.

Hey, I like the idea. And I mostly said what I said because I'd like to contribute
to, and use, such a resource one day. Tacking educational outreach and providing
something like a 'freeshell' environment might add value to the vision y'all are
developing here, too.

I certainly wish you the best of luck with it and will be following it
closely.

Cheers,
Brett

> --
> Joey Kelly
> < Minister of the Gospel | Linux Consultant >
> 01101101 01101101 01101100 01101010 00110100
> http://joeykelly.net

B. Estrade
Louisiana Optical Network Initiative
+1.225.578.1920 aim: bz743