Re: [Nolug] Web content filters

From: Brad Bendily <bendily_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:51:22 -0600

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:36 PM, -ray <ray@ops.selu.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Mischa D. Krilov wrote:
>
> What's the state of the solution these days?
>>

> The tools are all there... linux, iptables, squid, etc. The problem i
> found was getting a good list of sites to allow/deny. I certainly don't
> want to build my own list. And I haven't found any good, free options.
>
> I think dansguardian and untangled both use urlblacklist.com, which is a
> commercial list. At $6/month, it's not too expensive, but still not free
> :).

I think you get the first download for free. Then if you get more you have
to pay. But the downloads on their site work on the honor system!

on a side note, i've been reading nolog for several years, but almost 2.5
years ago i left a job where I was getting the mail from. that mail has been
forwarding to my gmail, and I have been replying to various post for the 2.5
years... well, i didn't realize that previously my post were being blocked
because i wasn't registered with my gmail account. so, maybe there will be
more post from me in the future. bb