Re: [Nolug] slicehost performance

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:52:28 -0600

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:57:28PM -0600, Dennis J Harrison Jr wrote:
> We had heavily used slicehost before they were bought by rackspace.
> Because of the way they handle priority in their xen cluster, unless
> you have their largest vm / 'slice' , any cpu intensive applications
> will lag from time to time (depending on the load on your actual
> hardware based on however else they resell it). This was a serious
> problem for us from December to January (we have since migrated away
> from them, and now run our own eucalyptus clusters using xen source at
> softlayer dallas and softlayer dc). Also, during this time, and all
> the way from November we had intermittent route issues. Their dns is
> solid though :)
>
> They might have fixed these problems by now (we are able to segment
> resources very effectively with xen, so I can't see it being a lasting
> problem for someone with the resources of rackspace / slicehost).
>
> Just a little bit of 'buyer be warned'

I'd like to point out that RootBSD.net uses Xen now, but when I got on
it used FreeBSD 'jails,' which allow non-virtualized sharing of a main
FreeBSD instance. I've resisted the requests to migrate over, but I'm
happy "in" jail atm. They don't offer jails anymore, so I can't tell
you how well the xen images perform.

Brett