Re: [Nolug] slicehost performance

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:44:03 -0600

You asked about the applications.....
I forgot to include that.... Yes, that is part of the beauty.... I do
have some processes which require command line programs to be used.....
for example transcoding audio files on the fly....

mass hosting systems do not allow you to install needed command line
applications. For example coupe of applications I use madplay, and sox
(via PHP exec()). There are few others, but I do not remember as of now
what they were.

Overall, command line is a must!

Petri

Petri Laihonen wrote:
> For me, it seems like affordable way with benefits of the dedicated host.
> I abandoned the mass hosting systems about 10 years ago and have had
> since only dedicated hosts.... which I did recently migrate into one
> server running 4 virtual machines....
>
> Now I have a possible project coming up which I don't want to set up a
> new dedicated server, at least not yet.... and my existing server has
> the 4 virtual machine resources locked down. (I don't want to shuffle
> those anymore....)
>
> Feedback for Slicehost has been positive, and my googling about
> slicehost + outage, etc.... did not return anything alarming. They've
> had outages within the last 6 months, but the reason was with the
> datacenter and they appeared communicating the information very quickly
> and openly.
>
> Petri
>
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>> What draws you to this type of hosting instead of a traditional ISP?
>> Is it something with the particular application you're deploying.
>> Just curious..
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Petri Laihonen <pietu@weblizards.net
>> <mailto:pietu@weblizards.net>> wrote:
>>
>> I assume someone on the list have experience with slicehost
>> http://slicehost.com/
>>
>> While I'm thinking about getting couple of 1Gb slices,
>> does anyone have any comments about their performance,
>> reliability, etc?
>> In other words, is it good enough to run business applications?.
>>
>> They seem to be very clear about the offerings and pricing etc.....
>> (including the non-existent SLA)
>>
>> Petri
>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.