Re: [Nolug] interesting posts on Craigslist

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:25:28 -0500

brent timothy saner wrote:
> well, i'd have to venture that all depends on context. business or
> residential? if business, private or contracted? what kind of business?
> if residential, urban or suburban?

You are right. I should have mentioned a specific context because you
have to factor in costs like fuel, cost of living, etc.

For the Southeast Louisiana area, the rates he put in the ad are right
for basic, field techy kind of jobs. You know, the guy who swaps out
hard drives, cleans out dust from heatsinks, cleans up spyware, etc -
technical work, but the kind of stuff that a high school kid that is
still green can do.

The ad is asking for a bit more than that despite what seems to be a
distinct "entry level" feel to the ad. Basic tech work doesn't include
specific knowledge like Exchange admin tasks or configuring TS on
servers. That warrants at or above $20/hr from what I've seen in this area.