Re: [Nolug] Ruby

From: Simon Dorfman <simon_at_yamlike.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 00:16:13 -0500

NO.LA2600.com has been meeting at Z'otz Coffee House uptown at 8210 Oak
Street <http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=8210+Oak+Street+New+Orleans+LA>.
Michael, owner of Z'otz, has been very accommodating and happy to have our
group meet there. He has offered to let us use his video projector at every
monthly meeting, provided we remind him a day or so ahead of time. The back
patio is a nice space. The video projection isn't exactly ideal (he has a
sheet that we put on the wall) but it works okay. I bet he would be willing
to let the NOLUG folks use his projector also. I will drop him an email and
see what he says.

Another place to consider is Fairgrinds Coffeehouse in mid-city. Perl
Mongers used to meet there. I've been meeting with GumboLabs.org folks
(we're starting a New Orleans hacker space) there every Tuesday for the last
couple months. Robert, the owner, let's all kinds of groups meet there in
his upstairs meeting room. I'll drop him an email and see if that Thursday
is open. He doesn't have a video projector, but if someone could bring one,
I think it could work.

Another place to consider are public libraries. A few months ago, I went to
a presentation about Open Street Maps at the public library in mid-city on
Carrollton. The organizer had reserved a meeting room and set up a
projector. I'm not sure if the projector belonged to the library or if he
brought it with him.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Mapping_Party_-_March_2009

Simon

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Chris Jones <techmaster@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think if we're going to start doing presentations, we should start
> looking at meeting where 2600 has their meetings. The back patio area
> at that place is a nice and secluded place where we can be noisy AND
> have some privacy for our group at the same time. Plus, when I went
> to a 2600 meeting there, the coffee shop actually supplied the
> presenter that night with a projector.
>
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> wrote:
> > On 2009-05-31 22:00, James Thompson wrote:
> >>
> >> I mentioned presenting on Ruby and Rails for the next NOLUG meeting to
> >> Jeremy and wanted to get some ideas from the rest of the list about what
> >> y'all might find interesting. At this point I plan to present the basic
> >> introduction to Ruby stuff regarding its basic syntax and such and also
> >> bit on Rails.
> >
> > As a DBA, my reaction is: Aaaahhhhh!!!!! Then, splash Holy Water on you
> > and stab you in the heart.
> >

> >> But I wanted to get an idea about what would make the talk interesting
> for
> >> what y'all do. If I could get some feedback on these few areas that
> would
> >> help me formulate my talk:
> >>
> >> 1.) What scripting or other programming languages do you use regularly?
> >
> > Python, DCL & SQL.
> >
> >> 2.) What are some of the common things you develop with the different
> >> languages you use?
> >
> > Database manipulation and maintenance jobs.
> >
> >> 3.) When you develop specifically for the web what sort of things do you
> >> build?
> >
> > --
> > Scooty Puff, Sr
> > The Doom-Bringer

> Chris Jones
> http://www.doomsdaytechnologies.com

Simon Dorfman
Art Director/Owner
YamLike Design
email: Simon@YamLike.com
phone: 504-261-6561
toll-free: 866-YAM-LIKE (866-926-5453)
fax: 866-FAX-A-YAM (866-329-2926)
post: PO BOX 851007, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70185
web: http://www.YamLike.com