Re: Hate Linux?? (was Re: [Nolug] Woo hoo!!! On-line with wireless!!!)

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:41:08 -0500

I don't like Gimp, so I use Photoshop CS2 via Crossover Office.
I have not yet used the newer graphics programs for Linux..... There are
surprisingly many....
I've only checked them out and pretty much any of them look more usable
than gimp (Even with Photoshop "look-a-like").

One of the potential favorites is "pixel".... Though it is not free
($50), but neither is Photoshop.

Petri

James Thompson wrote:
> I actually use Gimp on Windows and would use it on my Mac if I didn't
> have a license for Photoshop and Fireworks already. I need to get more
> comfortable with Inkscape.
>

> -James
>

> On Jun 12, 2009, at 10:21 AM, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>
>> I'm not a big graphics guy but... have you tried gimp and the other
>> programs out there on Linux?
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM, James Thompson
>> <james@plainprograms.com <mailto:james@plainprograms.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I am disappointed that the "Linux Community" hasn't developed a
>> solid desktop offering. I love Linux on server kit where I have
>> no need for a GUI, but doing image editing with a desktop
>> environment that is less responsive than Windows XP has always
>> bothered me.
>>
>> I really loathe my Windows box at work, but I've not installed
>> any flavor of Linux on it that didn't bother me even more. So now
>> I just use my MacBook Air at work and save my Windows XP
>> environment for checking my company email (since my Mac isn't
>> technically allowed on the network) and doing batch processing work.
>>
>> I actually need to try out the latest from the FreeBSD camp since
>> it has been years since I last used OpenBSD for a firewall setup
>> and I used to use FreeBSD on an old Toshiba laptop I had.
>>

>> -James
>>

>> On Jun 12, 2009, at 9:51 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On 2009-06-12 09:13, B. Estrade wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> I hate linux, but use Ubuntu on my work lappy bc I am too
>> lazy to
>>

>> I can understand you not liking it for technical reasons,
>> being miffed that it gets all the press that Tux gets that
>> Beastie deserves, or even that the GPL Is Evil, but *hate*???
>>
>> That should be reserved for the steaming pile of excrement
>> that is Windows. (I had to reboot my work PC yesterday
>> because I held down the Shift key too long and the keyboard
>> stopped responding.)
>>
>> --
>> Scooty Puff, Sr
>> The Doom-Bringer