Re: [Nolug] Database design

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:35:13 -0500

On 2009-07-13 23:46, Jeremy Sliwinski (mailing list account) wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>> So, you are storing various types of information on each recipe, such
>> as the recipe's name, the directions on how to make it, but then you
>> have an ingredients list, which would essentially have to be a 2D
>> array. It would store the # of units, the unit type, and what exactly
>> the ingredient is...times however many ingredients that particular
>> recipe would have. That's where a bigger part of the problem comes
>> in, that each recipe could have 3 ingredients, or 20.
>
> This is an ideal situation for a set of linked lists, however, I'm not
> familiar enough with DB design to know if that concept translates well
> into DBs.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_list

Since LL access is sequential, and one of the purposes of
"databases" is random access, you will never "see" them in RDBMSs
(although they might well be used for deep stuff like lists of
memory buffer pages where "head" points to the oldest page, making
LRU algorithms easier to implement.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer