[Nolug] Need advice on new mobo

From: ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 0:03:27 -0400

Just got an ASRock A780GXE/128M, and it seems to have difficulty seeing more than 4 devices. (I've got 4 SATA HDDs, a SATA DVD-RW and a PATA HDD.)

Here are my needs:
- AM2 socket
- ATX form factor,
- 6 (or even 8) SATA sockets,
- 4 DIMM slots.

On-board 1394 would be useful.

The A780GXE has all those features, but apparently doesn't implement them well. Just in order to get it to boot from CD-ROM (I'm now running from an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD), I had to disconnect the lone PATA drive.

I'd break down and get an AM2+ CPU if the mobo were *great* and didn't support AM2.

Thanks