Re: [Nolug] Haiti/Linux...

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:12:32 -0500

On Mon August 17 2009 10:52 am, Geo & Joyce Leonard wrote:
> Joey, I spent 2 years in Haiti as a medical volunteer , 1989-91 , first
> year at Sacred Heart Hospital in Leogane, and my second year there and at
> the Mother Theresa House in Port-au-Prince , living at the Episcopal School
> and Home in downtown P-A-P , and loved it !! I would love to go back !!
> Are you guys meeting at CC's this Thursday evening at 6:30 ? I would like
> to come, if so. I'm still struggling with my little Dell " mini-computer "
> with Ubuntu only on it.

Neat. I've been to Leogane. The guys I work with have started a vo-tech type
of school there if I'm not mistaken.

Haiti is a lot different from when you were there, but sadly the bad things
you remember are still in evidence. The Macoutes are "gone", replaced by
FRAPH, also "disbanded" Nowadays there are lots of kidnap-for-ransom events,
probably organized by out-of-work henchmen. A deacon I met ended up getting
abducted and killed a few days before my last trip.

Yes, we'll be at CC's on Thursday, and we'd be glad to have you. Just don't
bring the entire group, as I've already told someone from your neck of the
words that you'll DoS the coffeeshop if you do.

Actually, wait... I forgot that we're having a restaurant outing this month
(we do this in August and December). We'll be at Taqueria Corona on the
corner of Severn and West Esplanade. DoS rules still apply... advance notice
needed.

Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant