Re: [Nolug] bandwidth management question

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:57:58 -0500

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Jeremy (mailing list box) <
listbox@unix-boy.com> wrote:

> On 04/05/2010 12:05, Petri Laihonen wrote:
>
>> I found out the equipment we have now is slightly different, and we have
>> actually 2 which may or may not be suitable.
>>
>> Linksys / Cisco SLM2048
>> SMC Tigerstack II 8824M
>>
>> Will be hunting for the manuals......

> Your SMC switch will work. Check out page 8-26 in the manual at
> http://www.smc.com/files/AG/MN_SMC88xxM_MNG.pdf
>

> Yes. I was reading that manual yesterday and this looks like the one I'm
looking for. Though still wondering if this rate limit is the hard limit.
And if I understood the manual corectly, the soft limit is set in QoS (13-7,
13-8) in metering.

Also, I find the terminology a bit strange. It says about packets being
dropped. Is that normal way of shaping the traffic? That sounds like a lot
of retransmissions.

Petri