Re: [Nolug] NAS

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:50:38 -0500

Well, I'm talking about within reason. There's always something
better, but how much money are you willing to throw at it? RAID5 is
good enough for most people, and is far more economical than RAID10.
RAID5 is a good middle-of-the-road solution that gives improved
performance AND redundancy. Add some hot spares to the mix, and
you've got a pretty robust solution. For intense video editing,
you're probably going to want some RAID0, but never use the RAID0
volume for long term storage of any important data.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> RAID5 best of both worlds??  That *highly* debatable, since it's write
> performance stinks.  You need scads of BBC to make it effective.
>
> On 2010-04-10 14:14, Chris Jones wrote:
>>
>> Well, there's no such thing as raid10 with 2 drives.  You need at least 4
>> drives for raid10.  With 2 drives it would be raid1.  Or raid0, but only a
>> fool would put important data on a raid0.  ;)  raid0 is best for use as a
>> temporary place for data processing.  Raid5 is the best of both worlds, and
>> is the most cost effective.
>>
>>> On Apr 10, 2010 1:41 PM, "Joey Kelly" <joey@joeykelly.net
>>> <mailto:joey@joeykelly.net>> wrote:

>>> OK, let me be less cryptic.
>>>
>>> RAID5 with 3 drives, or RAID10 with two... fine, lose one drive, you're
>>> still
>>> OK. Forget I even said anything.
>>>
>>> BUT... I do have to step in and complain loudly about software RAID. If
>>> you
>>> don't care about your data, feel free to set up software RAID.
>>>
>>> The same thing goes for Fake RAID. If you like your data and want to keep
>>> it,
>>> get a real controller.
>
> --
> Dissent is patriotic, remember?