Re: [Nolug] NAS

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:16:10 -0500

Yeah, and those smaller drives will cost 3x more than a 2TB SATA
drive. It's insane, but after you work with servers long enough, you
realize that the SAS and SCSI hard drives have a much higher build
quality than the desktop models. It's insane when you set up a server
with RAID5, leave it running 24/7 for 6 years straight, and you might
have one hard drive failure. I love their reliability.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> The one "bad" thing about high-capacity drives is, well, their high
> capacity.
>
> Back In The Day, you'd create a 1TB RAID-10 set out of 14 SCSI-320 146GB
> drives and 4 or 5 SCSI cards.  The parallelism made for very high IO rates,
> but at the cost of a shelf or two, 2 or 4 PSUs, a handful of BBC SCSI cards,
> cables, etc, etc, ad nauseum.  Serious coin!  More if your existing racks
> are already full and you thus need to also buy a new rack, fans, shelves,
> blah blah.  REALLY Serious Coin, especially if the corporation mandates Tier
> 1 vendors.
>
> Even now, for "Enterprise" production (as opposed to archival) work, I'd
> spec 320GB or 146GB 6Gbps 15K SAS drives, depending on how much speed is
> needed.
>
> On 2010-04-10 14:45, John Souvestre wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ron.
>>
>> Right.  I believe that Raid 10 beats Raid 5 in all of the specs.  I
>> certainly
>> prefer it.
>>
>> The only possible down side is that you need an even number of drives.  So
>> where
>> a 3 drive Raid 5 might be large enough, you would need a 4th drive to go
>> with
>> Raid 10.
>>
>> I also echo the comments about not trusting software Raid.  I had the
>> FreeBSD
>> version fail on two different boxes in the past.  On the other hand, I've
>> had
>> drive in my Cobalt RaQ fail twice and the OS handled the situation like a
>> dream.
>>
>> John
>>
>>    John Souvestre - New Orleans LA

Chris Jones