Re: [Nolug] Streaming video server

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:26:09 -0500

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Dennis J Harrison Jr <
dennisharrison@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Jerry Wilborn <jerrywilborn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Option 1: http://developer.apple.com/opensource/server/streaming/
> > Option 2: https://media.dreamhost.com/ ... Using a combination of a
> Flash
> > player and ffmpeg to convert. This is definitely the more common option.
> > Jerry Wilborn
> > jerrywilborn@gmail.com
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> wrote:

> little
> that
> The
> if I
> start
> download to

> FLV if you want to see it via the browser and hurt the users cpu, flv
> now a days is h264 mostly right? If so, this is a really good format,
> high quality with a rather low bitrate.
>
> >> I'd research what formats that YouTube uses. Also I'd think about
> >> lowering the bitrate.

> server
> >>

> If you aren't afraid of a little bit of community document reading,
> and forum searching. You'll be happy/impressed with :
> http://www.kaltura.org/
>
> >> YouTube, ESPN, blah blah do "immediate" streaming all day every day.
> >>
> >> With Flash, unfortunately. So, there's *is* a better way, but I don't
> >> know it.
> >>
> >> --

FFmpeg is finicky. I have been fighting with its inconsistencies with the
command line format and mismatch of different components it is using. More
specifically it breaks way too often.

FlowPlayer would be the open source flash player
http://flowplayer.org/

With this you have an option to playback .flv files as "progressive
download". (I think that was the term for it)

If you want straming, possibly the simplest way to to do it is VLC. VLC can
also transcode ont he fly from other video formats. http://www.videolan.org/