Re: [Nolug] windows VNC and SSH problem

From: Joey Kelly <geek_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: 31 Oct 2002 16:55:45 +0000

Ok, I finally figured this out. Actually, the VNC page has a solution to
an advanced, slightly different problem, which can be adapted to work
for run-of-the-mill windows users.

My solution:

User runs ssh client and vncviewer on his machine. Putty may not be
sufficient, but there are other ssh clients for windows (cygwin springs
to mind).

For clarity, let's change the setup slightly:

User is at home, and wants to access his desktop at work. His linux box
is down, so he's stuck on his windows box (in other words, user doesn't
need to be running linux at home at all, and is only interacting with
the office firewall).

User then runs this command on D:

ssh -L 5900:A:5900 B

He connects to the office firewall and forwards ports to the internal
windows box (I didn't know you could do this). He then points vncviewer
at localhost, port 5900, and is then prompted for his vnc password on
his windows box at home.

Neat. I finally got it to work!

--Joey

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 16:36, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Scott and whoever else wants to take a look at this,
>

> Here's where I stand with my A-to-D windows VNC project:
>

> legend:
>
> A = windows box at work
> B = office firewall
> C = linux desktop at home
> D = windows box at home
>

> D is running vncserver on port 5900
>
> C has port 5900 on localhost mapped to port 5900 on D, using rinetd
> (but any port redirection app will work)
>
> netstat tells me localhost on C has port 5900 listening.
> I tested this link by X-forwarding ssh from B to C and running vncviewer
> pointed at localhost:5900 on C and I am able to log on to D using the
> vnc password prompt.
>

> Ok, so I kill vncviewer on C and try to connect using ssh and fowarded
> ports from A
>
> A is using ssh to connect to C and is forwarding port 5900 to port 5900
> on C
> (ssh C -L 5900:C:5900)
>
> netstat on A tells me I've got port 5900 running on localhost
>
> I try to point vncviewer on A at localhost:5900
> I get this error on my ssh console:
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: connection refused.
>
> Ok, so maybe I have the port forwarding wrong.
> I changed flags and turned the connection around:
> ssh C -R 5900:C:5900
> but this failed totally.
> netstat on A doesn't even show 5900 open at all.
>

> Ideas?
>

> --
> Joey Kelly
> Linux consultant in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
> http://kellynet.dhs.org
>
> ---
> Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Linux consultant in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
http://kellynet.dhs.org
---
Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom-shaped ones,
which have a lining of iridium and strontium-90).