Re: [Nolug] idiotic gig

From: Barrington Womble <stigwom_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:23:00 -0500

My Sage Advice:

Pick an area of interest. Find its associated certification. Study for
it. Yes, I realize that the study materials can be expensive. Suck it up.

As you study, you learn. I picked up a Java cert starting from close to
zero. In the end, not only did I get the cert, but I also learned Java. If
you're going to learn something, you might as well get certified. If you
truly know and *****UNDERSTAND***** the material, you can pass the test.

I know it's hard. It's the paradox of being unable to find a job without
experience while being unable to gain experience without a job. Sometimes
you have to create experience for yourself. This can be in the form of
self-education that can be proven - PROVEN - by certs, diplomas, or a
portfolio.

Want to be a web developer? Learn LAMP and build a website. Talk about it
in your cover letter. Include a link.

Desktop/network support? Make business cards and throw up a website. Offer
to work on your friends' machines/set up your friends' networks for free.
Even better: your friends' businesses' machines/networks. BAM! You run an
IT shop and have client references.

Quit yr yappin' and make it happen, cap'n.

Love,

the Noisy One