Re: [Nolug] Ubuntu

From: Techmaster <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:56:48 -0500

I love it how when somebody creates a linux distro that is actually usable,
everybody makes fun of it. I fix people's computers for a living, and the
last thing I want to do is come home and spend all night or weekend trying
to get my computer to do something basic. With Windows or OSX, we expect a
certain level of usability. Somehow, it's become acceptable for a UNIX OS
to be hard to use, yet Apple has proven to us that it is possible to build a
UNIX system that is just as user friendly as Windows. Suddenly, somebody
makes Linux easy to use, and the only downside I can think of to this is
that knowing Linux is no longer a bragging right, because somebody's grandpa
just installed Ubuntu on his home PC, all by himself. But, is that really a
bad thing? Linux is finally making progress towards being a mainstream OS.
Isn't this what we've been fighting for all these years? We all know that
Windows rules the planet, and MS has been sitting on its behind for a long
time when it comes to security and stability. OSX and Linux have made some
serious progress over the past few years, and Microsoft finally has some
real competition. The end result? Windows 7, and it's really good. It's a
huge advancement over Windows ME and NT4. Operating systems are going to
keep getting better over time. If you prefer editing .conf files in vi
under slackware, then have fun living in 1975. While you make a hobby out
of configuring your system, the rest of us will be actually USING our
computers. Just stop yelling at us to get off your lawn. :)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rbeqbj-n1Z0/Skeak1qBGyI/AAAAAAAAAeM/3k_ntrDWmOw/s1600-h/ubuntu.png