Re: [Nolug] Ubuntu

From: David Bruce <davidstuartbruce_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:56:17 -0500

Hi,

Ubuntu is what I install for others who want to try a nice,
well-designed Linux with minimal or no prior Unix experience. Like
OS-X, most of the details are hidden from users behind a graphic
interface that is more familiar to casual users.

But I don't use it myself - to me, "hiding the details" seems more
like obfuscation than anything else. I generally use Debian.

Also - regarding being "back in 1975" - in that era, only computer
experts used computers. Now lots of novices use computers, and they
don't know enough to use an expert interface, so the "novice
interface" is called "user friendly". But that doesn't mean that
doing things the way the general public currently does is "modern".
For lots of things, the command line and human-readable config files
are still the expert way, and that isn't going to change.

The invention of movies didn't make books obsolete, even if books were
an earlier technology.

DSB