Re: [Nolug] Ubuntu

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:29:26 -0500

> > Why would you need or want to install Samba on OS X? The system
> > already has a built CIFS client and can easy be joined to an Active
> > Directory domain straight out of the box. Was there some sort of
> > functionality your friend was looking for?
>
> I'd also say that installability of Samba is not a fair usability test for
> the typical user.

Well, right. OSX Just Works(tm) for most users... they plug in a doo-dad and
it automagically configures itself, for instance.

Configuring Samba on Macs or Linux is not something a regular user would ever
do, unless he can point-and-click and get it working... this brings me back
to my earlier point. I'm thrilled that Linux is finally on end-users'
desktops, but seeing Linux make inroads on the desktop does not detract from
the skillsets and competences of seasoned system administrators. I'm an
old-school admin, while others on this list are merely looking for an
alternative to Windows.

Since we are likely to be moving our monthly meeting back to UNO, we'll have a
place for suitable for the style of lectures and discussions that we had
previously. It is my hope that folks with desktop applications knowledge step
up to give demonstrations benefitting non-admins, in addition to the usual
technical topics we've had in the past.

Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant
http://joeykelly.net
504-239-6550